Search This Blog

Welcome to the Steno Wizard's Realtime Journey!






Remember when life was simple and all you had to do was make a selection on what your steno really meant? Those days are long gone.





Reporters must get themselves into top realtime form to compete in today's job market. This is my contribution toward ALL of us reaching the realtime goal.



My Steno Wizardry concept is based on the idea that writing realtime actually doesn't require magic -- just hard work, determination, and a little bit of FUN imagination.



My hope is my sharing of the ideas I've incorporated into my realtime journey will assist you in yours.



Monday, January 26, 2015

Checking in!

Steno Wizard has been so busy with the captioning side of realtime!  Loads of work out there to be had from the comfort of your own home...just sayin'  

Steno Wizard is starting to feel more and more comfortable captioning television.  Last week, Steno Wizard got to caption -- get ready for it -- the State of the Union address.  Talk about a nerve-racking experience.  In my quest to not look a total fool, I spent 45 minutes prepping for a speech that was a little over an hour long!

How does one prep for the State of the Union?

You've got to make sure you have all those Congressional names in your dictionary just in case.  I had many from before the election, but I needed to update them with the newly elected people. 

I went to the whitehouse.gov and looked around in there for a bit.  Input the First Lady's guests names -- good thing because the President mentioned a few along the way.  Rebekah definitely had to be in there. 

Here's some briefs that were helpful--State of the Union STAOUPB
Michelle PHEURBL
Congress TKPWRES
Congressional TKPWRERBL

Now a word I wish I'd had in my dictionary that the President didn't say but the television reporters did say -- rotunda!   You can bet it's in there NOW. 

Anyway, Steno Wizard survived that particular journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment