Search This Blog

Welcome to the Steno Wizard's Realtime Journey!






Remember when life was simple and all you had to do was make a selection on what your steno really meant? Those days are long gone.





Reporters must get themselves into top realtime form to compete in today's job market. This is my contribution toward ALL of us reaching the realtime goal.



My Steno Wizardry concept is based on the idea that writing realtime actually doesn't require magic -- just hard work, determination, and a little bit of FUN imagination.



My hope is my sharing of the ideas I've incorporated into my realtime journey will assist you in yours.



Saturday, August 21, 2010

Practicing

Steno Wizard has made a commitment as a working reporter to -- practice!?! Monday through Friday at least 15 minutes will be dedicated to practicing the steno craft.

Here's a list of my current briefs I'm working on. They are printed out and placed on my courtroom desk and my office desk where they are reviewed every single day until they're cemented into my brain.

ARPBGT arrangement
ARPBGTS arrangements
AOBG automatic
AO*FT automotive
P approximate
P-L approximately
P*G Pentagon
POELGT apologetic
POEPLD podium
PHEBLG mechanical
PHEP metropolitan
PHERBGT metric
PHEUPBLGT midget
PW-DZ beside
PWAOPBD abandon
KUFLD custodial
KUFPBD custodian
KEPLT contempt
KOEUPBS coincidence
KO*ERG category
KAUFGS causation
KAORT coordinate
KAORGS coordination
KHRABT collaborate
KWAOEPBS convenience
KWAOEPBT convenient
TKPHEUT admit
TKPHEUTD admitted
TKPHEUTS admits
TKPHEUGS admission
TKPHEUFBL admissible
TKPWRAEZ agrees
TKPWRAEBL agreeable
TKPWRAEPLTS agreements
SRO volunteer
SROZ volunteers
SROG volunteering
SROPL volume
SROPLZ volumes
SROER voluntary
SROERL voluntarily
SRAODZ avoids
SRAOBL avoidable
SPWELGS intelligence
SPWELGT intelligent
SPW*ELGT intelligently

3 comments:

  1. Kudos for making that commitment to practicing! There's some really great briefs on that list... How often does "midget" come up, though, really? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True on the "midget" word, and it's politically incorrect anyway. I thought about the fact that I write digit TKEUPBLGT, and obviously following the same philosophy it would hopefully naturally be written the same, but who knows what I'd really do.

    It's just a random list I have printed out to try to remember. I'm hoping some of the words come up in my trial this coming week. The words knowingly, voluntarily and intelligently come up at work almost every day multiple times a day, so you'd think I'd remember the briefs, but there were a few times this week I slipped.

    Practice is supposed to make us all better writers -- at least that's the party line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great list. Budget and gadget, too! How do you write "knowingly?"

    Have you tried writing a paragraph (or two) with the words in sentences and practicing 'em that way? Last night's blog entry was from Gregg Shorthand Manual and it suggested practicing them in context for better retention. That and make it fun!

    ReplyDelete